It’s been a hectic year, and I attribute that to coming down off the college trip and learning how to navigate the “real” world. College came with a lot of firsts – first apartment, first self-sustaining job, first pet, first car, first 2 a.m. breakfast at Denny’s where you’re too drunk to get to the restroom without hanging on your (equally drunk) friend. You know, the things that really matter.
But leaving the academic safe haven (well, almost – I still work here, after all!) also came with some pretty significant (if not drunken) firsts, too.
Memorable events in 2006:
- The S.O. and I celebrated our 6th year together, and I figure another year where we didn’t kill each other is always worth a mention. I kid, I kid. I am continually amazed that we are so good together, and I couldn’t ask for a better friend and companion, especially in my most blanket-flingy moments.
- I landed my first full-time professional job. This was probably the most significant of all the years’ events, and also the most difficult adjustment. As much as I want to be a starving artist, I don’t actually like to starve, and it’s hard to argue with money, benefits, and a Malaga with your name on it.
- I spent a couple months in counseling, which was a major first for me. Now I’m not sure why I ever shied away! Counseling is wonderful, especially for people like me, who like to talk about themselves. It’s like blogging, but to someone who HAS to listen to you! Because it’s their job! Sucker!
- Photography and I had a falling-out, which hasn’t resolved itself even now. Unfortunate, because I was pretty darn good at it, too. Hopefully there will be a time in the near future when I can pick up a camera and not feel guilty of abandonment.
- I broke my damn foot! Ow!
Overall, it was a year of complicated (and sometimes disappointing) life lessons. Hopefully the new year will find me with the poise, grace and maturity of an Adult-with-a-capital-A.