What the hell happened to last year’s health kick? Well, it kinda ran off the rails after I joined Automattic. My weight crept back up, I stopped paying attention to what I was eating, and my exercise routine was not so much a routine anymore. The results spoke for themselves — I felt gross and bloated, tired, not very happy. Boo.
So, in January I hopped (or, in my given condition, sluggishly oozed) back on the wagon, and now I’m feeling confident enough to tell you how things have been going.
- Started Weight Watchers on a whim, after seeing one too many TV commercials. Was suspicious, but their “points” system makes it much easier to keep track of food, and the iPhone app is handy when we’re grocery shopping.
- Also started playing Health Month again, because I noticed a lot of the habits I tracked last year have stuck — which is great! I regularly take my vitamins and floss my teeth. Maybe tracking some other healthy habits will help them stick, too. My rules involve drinking more water, hitting my target step goal, and remembering to track food.
- Resumed a near-daily exercise routine, mostly Just Dance, and felt out of shape and silly, bouncing around like a monkey in my living room.
- Went to Hawaii and put WW on hold (so much eating out) but did not come back fatter. Win/win.
- Lost some weight. Did not feel too deprived while doing so.
- Continued working out.
- Added a new rule to Health Month — make an effort to get more quality alone time. I’m terrible about taking time for myself.
- Lost more weight. Was warned I was losing too fast, so I started keeping closer track of Activity points, and eating them. I like eating.
- Bought a food scale to more accurately measure portions.
- 45-minute Just Dance workouts no longer made me want to die.
- I’ve lost 30 pounds since mid-January, over 35 total from after Gwen was born.
- Fashion bonus: My jeans fit comfortably again.
- Started Couch-to-5K. Just Dance is now easy, I need a physical challenge. It’s pretty hard to imagine me, jogging, but I’m sure stranger things have happened. I just can’t think of what…
Next 3 Months
- I’d like to be able to jog a mile in less than 12 minutes, fairly comfortably, without needing to walk.
- I need to set a new goal weight. I hope to lose between 12 & 24 pounds by the end of June.
- Keep on keepin’ on.